Friday, September 26, 2008

A New Journey Begins

Well... a year ago, when we first moved to San Diego ( and I wasn't pregnant with Taylor, or planning on being pregnant for that matter) I applied for a "virtual teacher" position where I would be assisting families that were participating in home school through an online school and I would be the credentialed teacher that would oversee their work and attendance as well as be available by phone and email as questions arise. After a year of not hearing anything they finally called, interviewed me and offered me a position. The timing couldn't have been any crazier with Taylor only being 7 weeks old and us still adjusting to our new life as a very busy family of 5! However, as Rex and I talked about it we decided to give it a shot. The nice part about this job is that I get to do 90% of my work from home. I also get to keep maintaining my credential and contributing into CalSTRS (a retirement program). In addition, we have a little extra money where I can get a babysitter once a week in the afternoons where I actually get away for a few hours. It is so glorious. I am not going to lie, it has been weird telling people I have a job, and all of the thoughts and ideas that surround a working mom, however I do feel like this opportunity has made me more aware of spending intentional time with my kids rather than just letting them "be" throughout the day. The first few weeks really did kick my butt as I had to be away from the house for training for a few days (luckily I could take Taylor with me) and I had to meet all of my families face to face in a short time window. However now that those things are done, I am just maintaining a regular schedule and it is much more manageable! We're hoping it all works out!

1 comment:

Molly W. said...

Check you out! Good for you Michelle, thats so great!! I honestly don't know how you do it all! (but you do, and you make it look so easy!)